Notices to Self Represented Claimants

Notice to Self-represented claimants: Possible Interruption of mail service

October 22, 2018

In case of a full labour disruption in mail services, the Indian Residential Schools Adjudication Secretariat (IRSAS or the Secretariat) has made arrangements so that hearings under the Independent Assessment Process can continue and your expense claim is dealt with quickly.

We will send you the documents that you need for your hearing via courier (Purolator). If your mailing address is a P.O. Box or a “general delivery” address, please contact your Claimant Support Officer to make alternate arrangements as couriers cannot deliver to these addresses.

If you need a travel advance to attend your hearing, please contact your Claimant Support Officer to arrange delivery of a travel advance cheque. Cheques will be sent out via courier or will be available for pick-up, depending on the location.

If you are seeking reimbursement for hearing expenses, please do NOT mail the claim to the Secretariat at this time. Please send your claim via courier (Purolator, FedEx, UPS), or wait until after the mail interruption is over before submitting it. Please send your claim to 900-2010 12th Ave, Regina SK S4P 0M3.

In the event of a full labour disruption, the Secretariat will not mail out cheques for expense claims. If the labour disruption is lengthy, alternate arrangements will be made to ensure that expense claims are reimbursed. Please note that some payments that were in the system for processing may already have been mailed. If you are expecting a cheque, and have not received it within 3-4 weeks of a full disruption, please contact your Claimant Support Officer.

The Secretariat sends many notices to self-represented claimants through the mail; these are often about important deadlines or milestones in the hearing process. These notices will be sent out by courier or email.

Please contact your Claimant Support Officer if you have a P.O. box or “general delivery” address and you are expecting correspondence from the Secretariat, as couriers cannot deliver to these addresses.

IAP compensation cheques are issued by Canada, not the Secretariat. Please call 1-877-307-9089 for further information.

If you have any questions, please contact your Claimant Support Officer or the IAP Info-Line at 1-877-635-2648.